Welcome to BCETS 2023
The Bombay Bicycle Club of Madison, Wisconsin presents BCETS -- Bombay’s Challenge Event Training Series -- a program of training rides designed to help cyclists prepare for challenging cycling events such as the Horribly Hilly Hundreds (HHH), the Dairyland Dare, or other hilly endurance rides.
The program focuses on the HHH, and is timed to peak your fitness for that event (held in mid-June). However the program can be used to train for any challenge event, or simply to increase your climbing skills and fitness.
- Orientation Meeting on Thursday, February 23 at 7:00 pm (social starts anytime after 6:30 pm).
- Training rides will be held every Saturday from March 4 - June 10.
- Hill Climbing Clinic will be held on-road in early April (1st or 2nd Saturday of April).
- Indoor hill climbing seminar will be held the week prior to the on-road event.
- Century ride at the end of May.
- Celebration picnic following the final ride on June 10.
The Training Rides:
- BCETS Registration Fee: $70
- Registration is limited to Bombay Bicycle Members. But don't worry, it's easy to sign up (or renew your membership) here: Member Signup / Information
- Can't remember if you are a member, or have forgotten your login information? Click here and click on the "forgot my username and password/password" button.
- NOTE: Be sure to log in to the Bombay website PRIOR to registering for BCETS. There is a glitch in the online registration platform that may indicate that registration is closed if you try to register without logging in first. Please ignore, log in, and complete your registration.
We will ride outdoors every Saturday, beginning March 4 through June 10. Yes, we start in March! That's is what is unique about BCETS. We start outdoors early in order to get a head-start on hitting the hills.
Starting times and lengths vary – rides early in the season (March) start at 10:00 am and are typically 2-3 hours. The rides start earlier (usually 9:00 am) beginning in mid-April, and are generally about 4-6 hours. The start location varies from week to week, and is usually within 25-45 minutes of Madison.
The rides can be hard, but you will share the challenge with a friendly and supportive group. Most of the training rides will take place on the gorgeous (and very hilly) country roads west of Madison.
We ride in small groups to accommodate different speeds and minimize our footprint on country roads. Each group is led by one or two experienced cyclists.
The first two rides of the season are relatively gentle, but quickly progress to very hilly
through the 15-week training program. Avid cyclists of all abilities are welcome – if you can maintain at least a 12-14 (or more!) mile per hour pace for at least 2-3 hours (on varied terrain) and want to improve your fitness and ability to climb hills, you will fit in. However note that this program does require some level of fitness. Be ready to be challenged during the rides.
Ideally you will have been participating in some type of activity over the winter such as indoor cycling, cross country/downhill skiing, snowshoeing, running etc. so that you are prepared to start outdoor rides in March.
Participants will learn valuable tips throughout the program -- during the orientation meeting, at the popular hill climbing clinic, and during casual conversation while enjoying the beauty of the best cycling roads in Wisconsin. Most important is that BCETS provides you with an incentive to get on the road early in the year, enjoy the company of like-minded folks, and be in great cycling shape by June.
Date: Thursday, February 23. The meeting begins at 7:00 pm. The social begins anytime after 6:30 pm.
Location: Fitchburg Community Center (5510 Lacy Rd, Fitchburg).
We strongly encourage you to attend the orientation meeting, especially if you are new to BCETS. A number of important topics will be addressed including an overview of the program, the ride schedule, and tips on riding in cold weather. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions. Handouts will be provided to all participants regardless of whether or not you attend the orientation meeting. If you are unsure about signing up for BCETS, you can attend the meeting to get more information about the program.
Still Have Questions?